let’s talk composition
what is composition? well, i see it as that secret “it” factor that makes a painting work. and you don’t hear many artists talking about it. it must be because artists don’t want to give away their secret. or maybe it’s because composition is something that comes intuitively. let’s face it, you can be a master of techniques but if you have no knowledge of composition you will never be a great artist. today i am going to share with you a few of my composition secrets.
1. off the page- i like to have an image or design actually going off the edge. it creates more interest and just works.
2. off center- placing an image in the center of the canvas is just plain predictable and boring. when you place the image off center, it is more exciting and unpredictable. it makes someone say, “hmmmm… there is something different about this piece!”
3. black- using black in a painting somehow seems to ground the piece. i love using a little black around the edge of my paintings because it somehow draws your eye into the painting.
4. border-i like to have some sort of border around the edges of my painting. again, it draws your eye into the piece.
5. repeat shapes or colors- repeating a theme in you piece creates harmony. example, use circles throughout your piece.
what are some of your composition “secrets”? care to share?